What we do
Our vision is for a zero serious harm resource sector in Queensland.
That means everything we do – from developing policy, working with and educating industry, monitoring data and identifying trends, implementing risk-based compliance plans, through to prosecuting breaches – is driven the ethos that everybody has the right to go home safely at the end of their shift.
We are responsible for administering safety and health legislation applying to Queensland’s resources industries:
- Coal Mining Safety and Health Act 1999
- Mining and Quarrying Safety and Health Act 1999
- Explosives Act 1999
- Petroleum and Gas (Production and Safety) Act 2004
RSHQ has 7 divisions, including 4 industry inspectorates:
- Coal Inspectorate
- Mineral Mines & Quarries Inspectorate
- Petroleum & Gas Inspectorate
- Explosives Inspectorate
- Occupational Health & Hygiene
- Simtars (safety in mines testing & research station)
Our inspectors are employed based on their significant practical experience, qualifications/competencies, and commitment to improving safety and health outcomes in their industry. Inspectors of mines have qualifications across a range of disciplines, including, mining engineering, geotechnical engineering, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering and occupational hygiene.
Last updated: 01 Sep 2020