Serious Incident Investigation Unit
The Serious Incident Investigation Unit (SIIU) is the centralised, specialist unit for all RSHQ investigations of serious safety and health matters.
The SIIU is responsible for undertaking investigations into serious and complex matters that may constitute offences against and contraventions of the four Acts applying to Queensland’s resources industries:
- Coal Mining Safety and Health Act 19999
- Mining and Quarrying Safety and Health Act 1999
- Petroleum and Gas (Production and Safety ) Act 2004
- Explosives Act 1999
The types of matters the SIIU may investigate include:
- a workplace death
- a serious injury
- occupation disease where an obligation holder has potentially contributed to the workers’ exposure to the cause of the occupational disease
- a serious incident involving a potential serious contravention of statutory obligations
- alleged conduct of a medical provider that is grossly negligent or deliberate in nature.
The unit will also provide investigative support to inspectorate staff investigating compliance issues and the delivery of investigations skills training.
Please email here if you have any questions about the SIIU.
Last updated: 02 Dec 2022