FAQ | Resources Safety & Health Queensland Skip to content


Frequently asked questions have been categorised to provide an easier navigation for you.  If you have a question that is not listed here, please contact the ResHealth team.


  • You will need to register and complete your section of the health assessment before attending your medical examination. You can complete your section of the health assessment as soon as you receive an email from your employer.

  • No. You cannot change the information once you have pressed submit on your section of the health assessment. If you need to update the information you supplied you can ask your doctor during your medical examination to add notes. If the information is related to your work history then contact a member of the ResHealth team.

  • No. An employer must arrange and pay for a health assessment for you before you start work with them as a coal mine worker.  Your employer, or prospective employer, will initiate your health assessment process within ResHealth.  You should speak to your prospective employer about the health assessment arrangements that they will make. Do you want to learn more about the health assessment?

  • Your doctor may recommend that you have a follow up exam, which is called a subsequent assessment. A subsequent health assessment is a health assessment that covers only some matters, as identified by a previous assessment. Subsequent assessments happen for several reasons such as reviewing test results and/or following up on a known health condition to make sure you can carry out your tasks at the mine safely.
  • It is hard to estimate how long your health assessment will take as it depends on how detailed your work history is and whether you have used ResHealth before.

    We suggest that you leave approximately one hour to register and complete your section.


  • RSHQ is transitioning to ResHealth and the health assessment process will move online. This transition will occur through 2021 and early 2022. Health assessments started using the paper forms can be completed on paper.

Self employed

  • No. If you are a self-employed coal mine worker, you need to register two separate accounts via QGov - one as an employer and one as a worker. You will use your employer account to initiate the health assessment process, then log-in as the worker and complete your health assessment.

Medical provider

  • Yes. You can download a PDF of the sections relevant to your role.

  • There may be several reasons you cannot find a health assessment within ResHealth, for example:

    • the worker has not completed a health assessment within ResHealth and/or the worker has not yet submitted their section within ResHealth for their current health assessment process; or
    • some of the information you are using could be incorrect, E.G HA reference.

    If this is not the case, then contact a member of the team at ResHealth for assistance on (07) 3818 5420.

  • You can contact the ResHealth team with a request to remove information from the worker's records and provide the replacement required.

  • Supervising doctors and examining doctors (examining medical officer) registered with RSHQ can continue to access a worker’s health assessment records from the Health Surveillance Unit via the AMA Portal. In future if a worker provides their consent digitally and if available, records may be accessed in ResHealth.


  • You are not required to download and sign any documents when using ResHealth. The digital submission of the health assessment is a declaration that the information you are submitting is true and correct to your knowledge.

  • A supervising doctor is a doctor who is registered with RSHQ as being able to carry out and supervise a health assessment and can issue a health assessment report. A supervising doctor must be appointed by an employer, as their Appointed Medical Adviser (AMA) before they can complete the health assessment for that employer’s coal mine workers.

    The supervising doctor (or AMA) can supervise another registered approved doctor (examining medical officer) to conduct the examination section of the health assessment, or the supervising doctor can complete the whole health assessment themselves. You can find a list of supervising doctors on the Register of Doctors and Medical Providers.

  • Coal mine workers require a health assessment before they start work as a coal mine worker and then periodically, as decided by the employer's appointed medical adviser (AMA – previously called the nominated medical adviser), but at least once every 5 years. More information can be found here.

  • The HA reference is used to find a health assessment in ResHealth. Each time a health assessment is started it will have a unique reference. This is so that the employer, worker and medical professional can access the relevant part of the health assessment they are completing.

  • Yes. Every health assessment, no matter what type, uses a unique reference known as the HA reference.

  • To cancel a health assessment you will need to contact a member of the ResHealth team on (07) 3818 5420.  In the future, the employer representative will have the ability to cancel a health assessment.

  • Currently, ResHealth supports the health assessment process for current coal mine workers.  Retired and former mine and quarry workers can access information on free lung checks and how to apply.

Last updated: 16 Aug 2021