Mines safety bulletin no. 10 | 19 April 2000 | Version 1
Use of earth moving equipment as mobile cranes
This is a reminder of the requirements when using any earth moving equipment for lifting and suspending any loads. These requirements are covered by the Australian Standard Crane Code AS 1418.5 'Mobile and Vehicle Loading Cranes'.
Before using any earth moving equipment as a crane, reference should be made to AS1418.5, some points for consideration include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Lift points shall have a single rated capacity determined at the least stable position, as per 13.3.3.
- Lift points shall be designed in accordance with AS 1418.1 and shall form a closed eye, as per 13.4.1 (a) and (b).
- lift points shall be tested for static stability and static strength, as per 13.6.1 and 2.
- A load chart shall be mounted inside the operators cab, as per 13.7.
- No person shall be permitted under the boom or suspended load, as per 13.9 (c).
- No person shall be lifted by earth moving equipment, as per 13.9 (e).
- Lift points shall be arranged such that accidental unhooking of the load cannot occur, as per 13.9 (g).
- Loads shall not be suspended from bucket teeth or adaptors, as per 13.9 (j).
Issued by Queensland Department of Mines and Energy