Mines safety alert no. Newsflash | 25 February 2019 | Version 1
Graders - Uncontrolled vehicle movement fatality
A coal mine worker received fatal injuries when a grader exiting an underground coal mine rolled down the drift and collided with a man transporter.
All underground mines should immediately review procedures for:
- the use of mobile plant, including the operation of multiple vehicles on inclines and parking of vehicles
- checking of mobile plant
- verifying ongoing effectiveness of braking systems
In particular underground mine grader braking systems should be reviewed to:
- confirm systems are fit for purpose
- ensure test plans are in place to ensure that all braking system components on underground graders are functioning as intended.
Note: Braking systems include service brakes, parking brakes, emergency brakes and other braking systems, the failure of which may cause a risk to persons.
Original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) should be consulted to ensure that correct test procedures are used for the aforementioned tests.
Investigations are ongoing and further information may be published as it becomes available. The information in this publication is what is known at the time of writing.
We issue Safety Notices to draw attention to the occurrence of a serious incident, raise awareness of risks, and prompt assessment of your existing controls.
References and further information
Safety Newsflashes Purpose
- Draw attention to the occurrence of a serious incident(s) in the mining industry
- Increase risk awareness
- Promote mines to examine and check that their controls are adequate
The investigations are ongoing and further information may be published as it becomes available.
The information contained in this publication is based on knowledge and understanding at the time of writing.
Issued by Resources Safety & Health Queensland
General: This information is a guide only. It is not to be taken as a statement of law and must not be construed to waive or modify any legal obligation.
Placement: Place this announcement on noticeboards and ensure all relevant people in your organisation receive a copy.