Mines safety alert no. Newsflash | 22 February 2019 | Version 1
Graders - Braking systems
The mines inspectorate has been made aware that, current testing methods for Underground Graders may not conclusively identify that all brake system components are operating correctly.
It is recommended that SSEs:
- Implement a test plan to ensure that all braking system components on Underground Graders are functioning as intended.
- OEMs should be consulted to ensure that correct test procedures are used for the aforementioned tests.
NB: Braking system includes: Service Brake, Park Brake and Emergency brake.
- Review risk assessments and controls associated with the use of Underground Vehicles, particularly those operating on inclines.
- Coal Mine Workers should be refreshed on vehicle parking procedures.
Investigations are ongoing and further information may be published as it becomes available. The information in this publication is what is known at the time of writing.
We issue Safety Notices to draw attention to the occurrence of a serious incident, raise awareness of risks, and prompt assessment of your existing controls.
References and further information
Safety Newsflashes Purpose
- Draw attention to the occurrence of a serious incident(s) in the mining industry
- Increase Risk awareness
- Promote mines to examine and check that their controls are adequate
The investigations are ongoing and further information may be published as it becomes available. The information contained in this publication is based on knowledge and understanding at the time of writing
Contact: 0731998001 firstname.lastname@example.org
Issued by Resources Safety & Health Queensland
General: This information is a guide only. It is not to be taken as a statement of law and must not be construed to waive or modify any legal obligation.
Placement: Place this announcement on noticeboards and ensure all relevant people in your organisation receive a copy.