Mines safety alert no. 377 | 27 August 2020 | Version 1
Continuous Miner Mounted Rib Protection Systems
All mines should:
- Review the adequacy of risk assessments and controls for the operation and maintenance of rib protection systems in use on continuous miners (refer to Figure 2 below).
- Ensure that the rib protection system is effective in preventing harmful rib spall entering the bolting platform area.
- Confirm that the regular inspections are in place to confirm the adequacy of protection systems.
Safety Alert Purpose
- Draw attention to the occurrence of a serious incident in the mining industry
- Increase risk awareness
- Promote mines to examine and check that their controls are adequate
The investigations are ongoing and further information may be published as it becomes available.
The information contained in this publication is based on knowledge and understanding at the time of writing.
Investigations are ongoing and further information may be published as it becomes available. The information in this publication is what is known at the time of writing.
We issue Safety Notices to draw attention to the occurrence of a serious incident, raise awareness of risks, and prompt assessment of your existing controls.
Contact: Michael Scully, Inspector of Mines , 0459 878 917 Michael.Scully@rshq.qld.gov.au
Issued by Resources Safety & Health Queensland
General: This information is a guide only. It is not to be taken as a statement of law and must not be construed to waive or modify any legal obligation.
Placement: Place this announcement on noticeboards and ensure all relevant people in your organisation receive a copy.