Explosives Inspectorate |
28 February 2023
Rubber seal missing from gravity feed fuel cap on explosives charge up vehicle
A mobile processing unit fitted with a dual fuel fill system was fitted with a faulty fuel cap. The fuel cap was missing the rubber seal, which created a potential fire hazard.
How did it happen?
An oversight has failed to identify the fuel cap for the gravity feed refuelling system was missing a rubber seal. The seal is critical to maintaining fuel tank pressurisation during the fast fuel process.
- When the rubber seal is missing from the gravity feed fuel cap, increased pressure from the fast fuel process may cause fuel to spill from the gravity feed fuel cap.
- A previous incident resulted in a spill of diesel fuel from a defective gravity feed fuel cap onto hot engine parts, causing a fire and full loss of the charge up vehicle.
Operators of plant and equipment fitted with fast fuel systems should:
- review hazard and risk registers to determine if hazards associated with fast fuel systems have been identified and controls put in place
- conduct inspections on all vehicles fitted with fast fuel receivers to ensure that the gravity feed fuel cap is fitted with the correct seal
- ensure that an effective preventative maintenance system includes regular inspections on vehicles fitted with fast fuel receivers to ensure that the gravity feed cap is fitted with the correct seal
- ensure that workers who operate, refuel and maintain equipment fitted with fast fuel receivers have appropriate training in their function, operation, use and inspection, including the role of the seal on the fuel cap
- ensure AFFF fire suppression systems for mobile equipment have been designed and engineered in accordance with relevant standards, such as AS 5062:2022 – Fire prevention and protection for mobile and transportable equipment.
Investigations are ongoing and further information may be published as it becomes available. The information in this publication is what is known at the time of writing.
We issue Safety Notices to draw attention to the occurrence of a serious incident, raise awareness of risks, and prompt assessment of your existing controls.
Chief Inspector – Explosives
Senior Inspector of Explosives
+61 7 3199 8023
Issued by Resources Safety & Health Queensland
Safety: This information is issued to promote safety through experience. It is not to be taken as a statement of law and must not be construed to waive or modify any legal obligation.
Placement: Place this announcement on noticeboards and ensure all relevant people in your organisation receive a copy, understand the content, findings and recommendations as applicable to their operation. SSEs should validate that recommendations have been implemented.
All information on this page (Rubber seal missing from gravity feed fuel cap on explosives charge up vehicle - https://www.rshq.qld.gov.au/safety-notices/explosives/rubber-seal-missing-from-gravity-feed-fuel-cap-on-explosives-charge-up-vehicle) is correct as of time of printing (21 Mar 2023 4:31 am).